Going Agile

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Meeting Critical Mass

My cube-mate put it well when he said this company is establishing a "Meeting Culture". There are some interesting properties to meetings. Kind of like vehicles on a freeway system, a few of them establish a productive flow of goods and services. Also like vehicles on a freeway system, too many of them and the whole system locks up creating cascading failure scenarios.

Take for instance my last two months. Things started out as one to two meetings a week. That was manageable so I could communicate directly with my devs to answer questions, and still communicate with the company at large via meetings to give external exposure to what we are doing. Then add in a couple weekly client calls. Then add in several monthly cross team collaboration meetings. Pretty soon I couldn't talk with my devs directly; they had to schedule meetings for my time. That further restricted my time to get actual work done.

At the height I had no more than 1/2 hour block at any point in the day to do actual work. As any developer will tell you, if all you have is 1/2 hour to code, you might as well not even start.
It takes at least 1-2 hours of uninterrupted time to achieve optimal flow in coding. As a result I've been playing a lot of Desktop Tower Defense. I prefer the 1.2 version of the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home