Going Agile

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When the Scum Master is on a different project

This round I find myself in a new scenario. We had a departure of the Lead-In-Training developer and I had to re-assume the role. In the mean time I was slapped on three different projects (I know, major no-no) and, as such, had no time to re-allocate to the main project I was scrum mastering.

I find myself extremely out of touch with the state of the project. Yes, I get the status updates, but I don't know what is happening. I have to take it on faith. It has made me acutely aware of the people who day after day state:
I'm working on my tasks today and everything is well.

I have become management. Horrible. I'm clueless and am constantly asking stupid questions. It really makes me appreciate the people whom I can count on to get things done.

One of the biggest challenges is that I can no longer anticipate when problems are coming down the pike. All I can do is to react to the daily stand-ups. I even forgot when the Sprint was ending. Total disconnect. Your scrum master should never be split like this. Always pick someone who is dedicated and intimately involved with the guts of the project to fill this role. No split-timers, and no fair-weather scrum masters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home